Frequently Asked Questions
Shopping at ATS
How can I find a store location?
- Please click here for our store locations.
What are your store hours?
- Please click here for our store hours.
Who prices the items?
- We have a great team of people who sort, hang, and price items each and every day. Individually, they look at thousands of items each day and price them before they hit our sales floor.
Do we have dressing rooms?
- Some of our stores do have dressing rooms. For those stores that do not, we advise shoppers to wear a pair of leggings and a tank top so you can try items on in the store before you purchase. Next time you’re in one of our locations, I bet you can find someone else doing the same thing!
Do you have a rewards program?
- Please click here to learn more.
What types of items do you sell?
- You name it, we sell it! Clothing, shoes, accessories, housewares, bikes, sports equipment, even on occasion, cars! Please click here to see an extensive list of items we offer.
Do you offer gift cards/certificates?
- We currently offer gift certificates in $5, $10, $20, and $25 increments. They may be purchased at any register in any of our store locations.
How do I know the items you sell are safe?
- We make every effort to ensure everything we sell is of good quality and in working order. However, even we may miss something, so when in doubt, call the manufacturer to ask questions. You can also bring in your item for a store credit. Click here to read our exchange policy.
What if I have a specific safety/recall question about an item I bought at your store?
- It’s always best to contact the manufacturer of the item in question. Many times, they’ll even send you a replacement for free.
If a tag is missing, what should I do?
- If you find a piece missing a tag, please bring it to check out and ask for it to be retagged. We will swiftly price the item and you can be on your way!
Have the clothes been washed?
- No, the clothing on the racks has not been washed.
Do you sanitize your merchandise?
- Our research over the years has shown us that most donors truly want to give items that can be re-used or re-sold. Over 60% of our donations are actually handed directly to one of our Attendants at our stores, during a free home pickup, or at our manned donation centers. In these cases (face to face), donors don’t typically give items in poor condition. While we don’t wash or sanitize received donations, we are very careful to separate items that are not in resale condition. We also refresh our merchandise by spraying it with a non-allergenic industrial-strength deodorizer.
- As a precautionary measure, customers may want to wash or sanitize items before putting them to use.
How long can we keep furniture on hold?
- Please speak with the manager if you need help in this area.
What happens to items that are not or cannot be sold? Are these items recycled?
- We strive to promote a reuse, recycle and repurpose approach as much as possible. Items that do not sell are transitioned to our Wholesale partner and broken down into recycled materials… such as rags, wiring, plastics, metals, etc. and are sold at a low rate to those who need them typically to international markets. America’s Thrift Stores strives to make sure nothing is ever wasted, keeping 45 million pounds or more a year out of our landfills.
Discounts and Policies
What is next week’s discount?
- You can find our Discount Colors posted in your local America’s Thrift Store.
How much is the Senior Discount?
- We proudly offer a 10% Senior Discount every Monday with a valid ID.
What are your discount days?
- We have three separate days for discounts.
- Monday is our Senior Day – 10% off with a valid ID (55+)
- Wednesday is our Hero’s Day – 10% off for First Responders, Military Personnel, National Guard, Reserves, and Veterans with a valid ID
- Thursday is Education Day – 10% off for college students, teachers, and education personnel with a valid ID
How do the discounts work?
- We have a variety of discounts. First, we have the two weekly color discounts – one color tag will be 30% off the ticket price and one will be 50% off the ticket price. You will generally find more of them Monday – Wednesday so shop early for the best deals! Second, we offer 3 discount days to specific customers. They are listed above. Please note – NO discounts are available on new items, new furniture, mattress sets, or consumables.
How does the return policy work?
We provide in-store credit on clothing, shoes, and warranted electrical items provided the following:
- Tags have not been removed
- Cash register receipt
- Within 30 days of purchase
No exchanges or store credit on other items. Much of our inventory is sold “AS IS,” meaning there is no warranty. All “AS IS” sales are final.
Can you change the price if I think it is too high?
- We know price is an important factor when it comes to purchasing and we strive to provide the lowest prices possible while ensuring each store is able to give generously to the local charity it directly supports. If you ever have a question about a price, please ask for the manager.
Do you offer LAYAWAY/financing on items?
- We currently do not offer layaway or financing.
Donating at ATS
How can I find a donation location?
- Please click here and type in your zip code. Then you will be able to see the donation location most convenient to you.
Do you pick up donations?
- YES! We will gladly pick up donations at your home or business for free! Please click here to request a free donation pick-up.
What areas do you pick up in?
- We provide home pick-up services in several locations throughout Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana.
I have a bunch of items that are hardly used. Will you buy it from me?
- Sorry, we do not purchase items from individuals. However, since our stores support local charities and ministries, we’d be happy to accept your gently used items as a donation on behalf of one of our nonprofit partners.
What items do you NOT take?
We cannot accept the following items:
- Mattresses/box springs (for sanitary reasons)
- Hazardous waste/materials
- Pepper spray/mace
- Used children’s car seats
- Used major appliances
- PC’s / Computers / Printers
- Box TVs (tube, cabinet, console). We will only accept flat monitor style.
- Construction remains (i.e. carpet scraps, boards with nails, etc.)
- Items recalled by the CPSC
- Firearms, stun guns, and firearms accessories
What charities do you support?
We proudly have local charity partners in each state:
- Alabama – Make-A-Wish Alabama
- Georgia – Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Louisiana – Louisiana Adult & Teen Challenge
- Mississippi – Home of Grace
- Tennessee – Adult & Teen Challenge Midsouth
How does ATS get its merchandise?
- America’s Thrift Stores collects donated items from our stand-alone donation bins, Community Donation Trailer sites, scheduled home pickup service, and from items that are donated directly at our store locations.
How much money do the nonprofit organizations actually make?
- ATS purchases its merchandise from its sourcing suppliers by weight and volume at or above fair market value. Due to the supply and demand cycles of retail businesses, the income to the nonprofit organizations varies by month per individual market. Our goal is to donate $10 million annually within 10 years.
Does America’s Thrift Stores get a tax break for buying all of its merchandise from sourcing suppliers who benefit non-profit organizations?
- No. America’s Thrift Stores is a for-profit company that supports non-profit charities and pays ALL local, state, and federal taxes, and, like many other retail companies, also pays labor, rent, cost of goods, insurance, and other standard business expenses.
Working at ATS
How do I apply for a job?
- We are always looking for new talent! Please click here to see all of our openings and apply today!
Where can I send a resumé?
- We are always looking for new talent! Please click here to apply and upload your resumé.
Where do I submit job-related questions or check on the status of an application?
- Submit questions or inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-964-4567 ext. 1024.